Be Your Own Health Insurance Advocate
It’s that time of year for Medicare Open Enrollment. Whether you are signing up for Medicare for the first time or changing to a Medicare HMO/Advantage plan, be sure to do your research and choose a plan that is right for you. Confidently choose the best medicare plan by using our tips and tools.
What is Medicare?
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities, or people with End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant, sometimes called ESRD).
Do I automatically get Medicare when I turn 65?
Most people become eligible for Medicare when they turn 65. If you are receiving Social Security retirement benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits, you should be automatically enrolled in both Medicare Part A and Part B.
When is the Medicare Open Enrollment Period?
- October 15 – December 7, 2021
- During this time Medicare users can change their health plans and prescription drug coverage to better meet their needs for 2022.
- Coverage begins on January 1, 2022
Things to consider when selecting a Medicare plan:
- Compare costs
- Quality of care
- Make sure your doctors and hospitals of choice are covered
- Is it part of the national network and managed care organizations?
- Is Moffitt Cancer Center part of the plan?
- Ask the right questions
- Understand the insurance lingo
For more information about Medicare, please email FCUinsuranceNavigator@Moffitt.org or call (813) 745-7300. Our Financial Clearance Specialist can confirm whether any plan you might be considering will cover Moffitt services and specialists.