Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Thyroid Cancer Treatment Available Only a Short Distance From St. Petersburg, FL
The latest thyroid cancer treatment options are available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, which is an easy drive from St. Petersburg, Florida, that can usually be made in less than an hour. You can count on our multispecialty team of thyroid cancer experts to create a customized treatment plan that meets your unique needs.
Of course, other cancer centers might be closer to your home, so you might wonder why you should travel to Moffitt from St. Petersburg, FL, or elsewhere. The reason, in a word, is expertise. Moffitt is a high-volume cancer center which means that we treat significantly more patients than most other cancer centers. As a result, our head and neck surgeons, who are among the best and brightest in the world, also have extensive experience and highly refined skills. When it comes to thyroid cancer treatment, this type of expertise matters.
Typically, after the experts at Moffitt confirm a patient’s thyroid cancer diagnosis, his or her treatment plan may include any of several different options, such as:
- Surgery – Surgical treatment often involves the removal of all or most of the thyroid gland and some surrounding lymph nodes.
- Hormone treatment – Following surgery, hormone therapy can replace the hormones that were previously produced by the thyroid gland, and also help prevent the growth of any remaining cancerous cells.
- Radioactive iodine therapy – Because any iodine that enters the body is usually absorbed by the thyroid cells, this form of radiation treatment can help destroy thyroid cancer cells without exposing other types of cells to radiation.
- External-beam radiation therapy – High-energy X-rays produced by a linear accelerator (machine located outside the body) are used to target and destroy cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy – After being administered by vein or mouth, powerful chemotherapy drugs enter the bloodstream and travel throughout the body to reach and destroy widespread cancer cells.
Moffitt’s dedicated team of researchers and clinicians continues to explore promising new forms of thyroid cancer treatment. We have a robust portfolio of clinical trials, which provides opportunities for our patients to be among the first in the nation to benefit from novel thyroid cancer treatments that are unavailable elsewhere. In recognition of the significant research advances we’ve made to date, Moffitt has received the prestigious Comprehensive Cancer Center designation from the National Cancer Institute.
If you live in the St. Petersburg, FL, area and would like to discuss your thyroid cancer treatment options with an expert at Moffitt, you can request an appointment with or without a referral by contacting us at 1-888-663-3488 or completing our new patient registration form online.