Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Stomach Cancer Surgery & Treatments for Individuals from the West Palm Beach, FL, Area
Stomach cancer surgery is typically recommended as the main form of treatment for gastric cancer. During a procedure, a surgeon evaluates the extent of the cancer and removes as much of the tumor as possible. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, can receive personalized treatment from our highly skilled surgeons who’ve helped thousands of patients fight cancer through innovative surgical procedures and techniques.
At Moffitt, we believe in taking a comprehensive, multispecialty approach to cancer treatment, and we have an entire team of experts, as opposed to a single physician, working together to treat our patients. Our tumor board meets weekly to evaluate key factors of each patient’s case and to collaboratively determine the best course of treatment for a patient’s unique situation. This way, our patients receive the benefit of several expert opinions without the need for referrals.
If, upon evaluation, a patient’s tumor is considered to be removable, our multispecialty team might recommend any of the following stomach cancer surgery techniques:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection – The tumor and some surrounding healthy tissue are removed through an endoscope that is inserted down the throat.
- Total gastrectomy – The entire stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
- Partial gastrectomy – A portion of the stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
If it is determined that a patient’s tumor isn’t removable and it is blocking the stomach and impeding digestion, a surgeon may recommend any of the following types of stomach cancer surgery:
- Endoluminal laser therapy – The tumor is reduced with a laser attached to an endoscope that is inserted through an incision in the abdomen.
- Endoluminal stent placement – A thin, flexible tube (stent) is placed either between the stomach and small intestine or the stomach and esophagus to create a clear passageway for the food.
For patients traveling from the West Palm Beach, FL, area, we can assist in finding local accommodations to help make the experience easier. We work closely with several nearby hotels that adhere to our strict hygiene and infection control standards to ensure the utmost safety of our stomach cancer surgery patients, including those with vulnerable immune systems.
Individuals from West Palm Beach, FL, who would like to find out more about Moffitt’s stomach cancer surgery options can call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.