Stomach Cancer Surgery for Individuals from the Orlando, FL, Area
Many patients from Orlando, Florida, who are considering stomach cancer surgery ultimately choose to receive their treatment from the skilled surgeons at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. We are the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, and as such, we are nationally recognized for our ongoing research and development of new and better cancer treatments, including surgical techniques. We are also dedicated to taking an effective, multispecialty approach to treatment using highly individualized plans that are tailored to meet the specific needs of our stomach cancer surgery patients.
Every week, our tumor board meets to collaboratively review each patient’s case and monitor his or her progress. This team of experts analyzes key factors, such as the location and size of the tumor, and refines the patient’s treatment plan as needed. In this way, we provide our patients with the benefit of several professional opinions without the need for referrals.
If Moffitt’s multispecialty team determines that a patient’s tumor is removable, we might recommend one of the following stomach cancer surgery techniques:
- Total gastrectomy – The entire stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
- Partial gastrectomy – A portion of the stomach is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection – The tumor, along with some surrounding healthy tissue, is removed through an incision in the abdomen.
Alternatively, if we determine that a patient’s tumor is not removable, but it is blocking the stomach and inhibiting digestion, we might recommend one of the following types of gastric cancer surgery:
- Endoluminal stent placement – A stent (thin, flexible tube) is placed between the stomach and small intestine or the stomach and the esophagus to create a clear passageway for food.
- Endoluminal laser therapy – The tumor is reduced using a laser attached to an endoscope that is inserted through an incision in the abdomen.
For patients from Orlando, FL, who would like to stay near Moffitt while receiving treatment for stomach cancer surgery, we can recommend local hotels to help make the experience a little easier. We’ve partnered with several properties in the area that adhere to our stringent hygiene standards and infection control policies to ensure the highest level of patient comfort and safety.
To discuss stomach cancer surgery with the experts at Moffitt, patients from the Orlando, FL, area can call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.