Squamous Cell Carcinoma Surgery Available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
Squamous cell carcinoma surgery is the most common method of treatment for this malignancy at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. The specific surgical procedure that is recommended for a patient with squamous cell carcinoma will depend on a number of factors, including the size and location of the patient’s tumor, whether the cancer has invaded nearby tissues and the patient’s preferences and overall health.
At Moffitt in Tampa, FL, the experts within our Cutaneous Oncology Program have extensive experience in treating squamous cell carcinomas. For patients that require squamous cell carcinoma surgery, our surgeons may perform one of the following procedures:
- Simple excision – A blade is used to shave cancerous cells off the surface of the skin.
- Shave excision – Cancerous lesions are cut away with a scalpel.
- Electrodessication and curettage – A cancerous lesion is scraped away with a spoon-shaped tool called a curette. The area is then treated with an electrical current to destroy any lingering cancer cells.
- Mohs surgery – A thin layer of skin is removed and examined under a microscope for signs of cancer. This process is repeated until the skin sample shows no signs of cancer.
- Lymph node dissection – If one or more of a patient’s lymph nodes near the original cancer site are swollen, they may be removed and examined under a microscope for the presence of cancerous cells.
In addition to surgery, patients who receive squamous cell carcinoma treatment at Moffitt may have the opportunity to participate in our robust clinical trial program, where they can benefit from the latest advancements in skin cancer treatment before they are made available elsewhere. As a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center –the only one based in Florida – Moffitt is committed to advancing cancer research and treatment.
If you live in the Tampa, FL, area and would like to consult with Moffitt physicians to determine if squamous cell carcinoma surgery may be an appropriate method of treatment for you, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. Referrals are not required to come to Moffitt.