Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Skin Cancer Treatment Information for Patients From St. Petersburg, FL
Many patients from St. Petersburg, Florida, who are seeking skin cancer treatment choose Moffitt Cancer Center, located nearby in Tampa. The multispecialty team of medical experts that makes up our Cutaneous Oncology Program are highly experienced in treating different types of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, among others. Our skin cancer experts collaborate regularly as a tumor board to review patient cases. Patients at Moffitt benefit from receiving an individualized treatment plan that best suits his or her circumstances.
Moffitt Cancer Center offers the latest and most advanced skin cancer treatment options for patients from St. Petersburg, FL, and nearby areas, including the following surgical procedures:
- Mohs micrographic surgery – In this procedure, a surgeon removes a thin layer of the tumor and examines it under a microscope. This process is repeated until no more cancer cells are found. This procedure is highly precise and can preserve more of the surrounding healthy tissue, making it particularly useful for treating tumors on the face and in other delicate areas.
- Dermabrasion – An abrasive tool, such as a rotating wheel, is used to rub away the top layer of skin.
- Electrodessication and curettage – A curette (a sharp, spoon-shaped tool) is used to remove the tumor. An electrical current is then delivered to immediately halt the bleeding.
- Cryosurgery – A freezing agent is applied to the tumor to destroy its cancerous cells.
- Shave excision – The tumor is shaved off using a thin razor.
- Simple excision – The lesion and some of the surrounding tissue are removed with a scalpel.
In many cases, one of these surgical procedures will be the only form of treatment necessary. However, radiation therapy is sometimes used if the tumor is located in an area that makes it difficult to treat with surgery. Additionally, chemotherapy may be applied as a topical cream or may be used in cases where the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
To receive skin cancer treatment at a renowned skin cancer program near you, fill out a new patient registration form online or call 1-888-663-3488. We welcome patients from St. Petersburg, FL, and do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.