Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Skin Cancer Surgery (Nonmelanoma) for Residents of West Palm Beach, FL
The latest advances in skin cancer surgery are available to residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, at Moffitt Cancer Center. Located in Tampa, Moffitt’s surgeons perform a high volume of complex skin cancer surgeries each year. The expertise of our surgeons translates into better experiences for our patients, who are treated with the latest surgical techniques designed to minimize scarring and healthy tissue loss whenever possible. Thousands of patients from throughout the state and across the country visit Moffitt every year to benefit from the tailored treatment plans, progressive surgical techniques and compassionate supportive care that we are world-renowned for providing.
Treatment of skin cancer most often begins with surgery. Because nonmelanoma skin cancers rarely spread beyond the original tumor site, surgery to remove a malignant growth is usually recommended. Depending on the specific type and extent of each patient’s cancer – as well as the patient’s health care preferences – one of several surgical approaches may be utilized to remove cancerous cells. These include:
- Mohs surgery – A tumor is removed one layer at a time and examined until no evidence of cancerous activity remains.
- Dermabrasion – Administered with friction, tiny polishing granules are used to remove the top layer of a skin lesion.
- Laser surgery – Skin cancer is destroyed with a thin, powerful beam of light.
- Electrodessication and curettage – A surgeon uses a spoon-shaped instrument to remove a tumor, then controls subsequent bleeding with a gentle electrical current.
- Cryosurgery – A freezing agent, such as a form of gas, is administered through a tiny instrument to destroy cancerous cells.
To eliminate as many inconveniences as possible for patients who travel from West Palm Beach, FL, for skin cancer surgery at Moffitt, we have partnered with several local hotels that provide discounted rates to our patients and their families. These hotels adhere to Moffitt’s high standards for hygiene and hospitality and provide a safe and comfortable environment for our patients following surgery. Many of our partner hotels also offer shuttle services to and from Moffitt.
If you reside in the West Palm Beach, FL, area and would like to consult with a Moffitt physician regarding skin cancer surgery, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete our online new patient registration form. Referrals are not required to receive treatment at Moffitt.