Skin Cancer Surgery (Nonmelanoma) for Residents of Orlando, FL
Skin cancer surgery is often recommended to remove lesions caused by basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas. As with any other type of surgery, a surgeon’s level of expertise is key to ensuring the best possible outcome from nonmelanoma skin cancer surgery, so it’s important to work with a highly regarded surgeon. Residents of Orlando, Florida, are only a short drive away from Moffitt Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida. At Moffitt, the latest surgical techniques are performed every day by some of the most skilled and experienced surgeons in the world.
Because nonmelanoma skin cancer is unlikely to spread, a surgeon can often remove all traces of the cancer from a patient’s body when performing skin cancer surgery. Additionally, the surgeon can help reduce the likelihood of recurrence by removing a small margin of surrounding healthy tissue during the same procedure. Moffitt’s surgeons consistently achieve an excellent skin cancer cure rate while preserving nearby tissue and optimizing cosmetic outcomes. For all of these reasons and more, patients from the Orlando, FL, area are encouraged to turn to Moffitt.
Moffitt offers the following types of nonmelanoma skin cancer surgery:
- Mohs surgery – Thin layers of a skin lesion are removed and examined, one at a time, until no evidence of cancer is found
- Laser surgery – A tumor is removed with a narrow beam of intense light
- Dermabrasion – The outer layer of a superficial skin lesion is removed through friction, which is created with the application of small, polishing granules
- Cryosurgery – A liquid freezing agent is applied to a small tumor to destroy cancerous cells
- Electrodessication and curettage – A tumor is removed with a sharp, spoon-shaped instrument (curette), then a device with a needle-like tip is used to deliver an electrical current to the affected area to control bleeding
Moffitt’s skin cancer surgeons frequently perform all these procedures, treating even very rare and complex forms of skin cancer, such as primary cutaneous lymphomas. We also do our best to ensure that logistical challenges do not prevent anyone from receiving outstanding skin cancer treatment at Moffitt. Our supportive care specialists provide a range of complementary services to assist our patients throughout their cancer journeys. Upon request, we can recommend convenient and affordable hotels for patients who travel from Orlando, FL, to Moffitt for skin cancer surgery or other treatments.
To learn more about your options for skin cancer surgery, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. Referrals are not required to consult with our expert oncologists.