Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Skin Cancer Surgery (Nonmelanoma) Performed Near Clearwater, FL
Skin cancer surgery is usually the preferred method of treatment for basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas. Because these nonmelanoma skin cancers are typically nonaggressive and rarely spread beyond their site of origin, surgery can be highly effective for removing all of the cancerous cells.
To ensure the best possible outcome and cosmetic result from skin cancer surgery, it’s important to work with a trusted surgeon. Residents of Clearwater, Florida, have easy access to the outstanding surgeons at Moffitt Cancer Center, which is just a short drive to the east. Moffitt practices the latest techniques in skin cancer surgery, and we treat significantly more skin cancer patients than most other cancer centers. In fact, at Moffitt, advanced surgical procedures are being performed every day by some of the most skilled and experienced surgeons in the world.
When performing skin cancer surgery, a surgeon at Moffitt can often remove all traces of cancer from the surgical site. This can be accomplished in any of several ways depending on the type, size, location and depth of a lesion. For instance, our surgeons regularly perform the following types of nonmelanoma skin cancer surgery near Clearwater, FL:
- Cryosurgery – A physician uses a cotton-tipped applicator or spray device to apply liquid nitrogen to a skin lesion to freeze and destroy cancerous cells.
- Electrosurgery – Using a curette (sharp, ring-shaped instrument), a surgeon scrapes away a small skin lesion, then applies heat produced by an eletrocautery needle to destroy any remaining cancerous cells.
- Excisional surgery – A surgeon uses a scalpel to remove a cancerous skin growth along with a slim border of surrounding healthy tissue to help ensure complete removal of the cancer.
- Laser surgery – A surgeon removes the outer layer of a superficial skin lesion along with some deeper tissue using a highly controlled beam of intense light.
- Mohs micrographic surgery – Using a curette, a surgeon removes a tumor along with a rim of surrounding tissue. During the procedure, the excised tissue is immediately sectioned, frozen, stained and mapped in detail, then evaluated under a microscope for evidence of cancer. If cancer is found, the rim of excised tissue is continually expanded outward, and the process is repeated until a sample is determined to be cancer free.
In addition to world-class surgeons, Moffitt also has an exceptional supportive care team that can help our out-of-town patients manage any travel-related challenges that they might face. For instance, upon request, we can recommend convenient and affordable hotels for patients who travel to Moffitt for skin cancer surgery or other treatments.
Whether you live in nearby Clearwater, FL, or elsewhere, you are encouraged to learn more about skin cancer surgery and other treatment options available at Moffitt. To request an appointment, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. You do not need a referral to consult with our expert oncologists.