Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer. It occurs when there is a growth of abnormal cells in the epidermis, or the outermost skin layer. The cases of skin cancer are especially high in Florida, where sun exposure is prevalent.
Choosing a Skin Cancer Specialist in Florida
Moffitt Cancer Center’s multispecialty team in the Cutaneous Oncology Program consists of specialists in all areas of skin cancer, including dermatology, radiology, dermatopathology, radiation oncology, surgery and plastic surgery.
Our patients can consult with several highly skilled medical professionals in one location. This unique, collaborative approach to skin cancer treatment is one of the primary ways in which we achieve exceptional outcomes.
Multispecialty and Individualized Treatment
At Moffitt Cancer Center, every patients’ diagnosis is reviewed by our multispecialty team of skin cancer experts. Treatment is based on many factors, including the type, stage and location of the cancer, in addition to the patient’s medical history and overall health.
At Moffitt, our tumor board collaborates to develop tailored treatment plans for each patient. A treatment plan may include:
- Surgery is the primary form of non-melanoma skin cancer treatment. Since most cases of non-melanoma skin cancer do not spread, surgeons can often remove the cancer in full.
- Radiation therapy may be used when skin cancer spreads to other areas of the body. Radiation may also be used after surgery to eliminate any remaining cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy may be recommended in some cases of non-melanoma skin cancer. Common types include topical chemotherapy such as creams and systemic chemotherapy in cases where the cancer may have spread through the lymphatic system.
- Skin cancer clinical trials have tested promising new treatments. Moffitt is one of the only centers in the country that has the protocol to test T-cell therapies, which boost the body’s natural ability to fight cancer using its own immune system.
Why Skin Cancer Patients Choose Moffitt
Skin cancer patients who are traveling from throughout Florida to receive treatment at Moffitt will also find these distinct advantages:
- Lowered rates at our partner hotels
- Supportive care services such as nutritional counseling and pain management
- Preventative care to reduce the risk of future skin cancer
- Access to all of Moffitt’s program and services, including support groups, patient and family library, on-site pharmacy and more
- Specialty programs for caregivers and families
Moffitt also has several location options. We not only have five clinical locations throughout the Tampa Bay area, but we also have established partnerships with Memorial Healthcare System and AdventHealth.
Additionally, Moffitt’s ambitious research efforts have led to our prestigious designation as a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Moffitt is currently the only Florida-based cancer center to hold this distinction.
If you or a family member from throughout Florida would like to receive skin cancer treatment from the renowned skin cancer program at Moffitt Cancer Center, please call 1-888-663-3488 or complete our new patient registration form. You will be provided access to a cancer expert within one day.