Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Rectal Cancer Surgery for Residents of West Palm Beach, FL & Other Nearby Areas
Rectal cancer surgery outcomes can be influenced by several different factors, including the expertise of a patient’s surgeon. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, patients from West Palm Beach, Florida, can consult with some of the most experienced surgeons in the field. Our team has treated hundreds of individuals with this particular diagnosis, using the most advanced surgical tools and technologies available.
At Moffitt Cancer Center, our high level of specialization is just one of the reasons our rectal cancer survival rates routinely exceed national averages. Another contributing factor is our highly individualized approach to rectal cancer surgery. A multispecialty team of experts collaborates on each patient’s surgical plan, taking into consideration many different factors, such as the location of the tumor and the unique makeup of the cancerous cells. This allows us to determine which procedure is most likely to not only improve the patient’s prognosis, but also his or her quality of life.
Depending on a patient’s needs, we may recommend any of the following types of rectal cancer surgery:
- A transanal endoscopic microsurgery, in which a surgeon removes a small, early-stage cancer or precancerous polyp using minimally invasive techniques
- A partial colectomy, in which a surgeon removes a small part of the colon and reconnects the remaining segments or creates an opening through which waste can exit the body through the stomach
- An ileocolectomy, in which a surgeon removes the right side of the colon and the last section of the small intestine, known as the ilium
- A proctosigmoidectomy, in which a surgeon removes the cancerous sections of the rectum and the sigmoid colon
- A total colectomy, in which a surgeon removes the entire large intestine
- An abdominoperineal resection, in which a surgeon removes the sigmoid colon, rectum and anus
- A total proctocolectomy, in which a surgeon removes the colon, rectum and possibly the anus
To make rectal cancer surgery more accessible for patients from West Palm Beach and the surrounding cities, we can assist with travel and accommodation planning. Our team can refer patients to local hotels that meet our high quality standards, many of which even offer shuttle services for patients receiving treatment at Moffitt.
To learn more about rectal cancer surgery at Moffitt or traveling to our cancer center from West Palm Beach, FL, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. No referral is required to schedule an appointment.