Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
TRUS Biopsy Procedures for Patients from West Palm Beach, FL
A TRUS biopsy, or a transrectal ultrasound biopsy, is a procedure that can provide patients with an accurate prostate cancer diagnosis. This biopsy is typically performed by a urologist who inserts an ultrasound probe into the patient’s rectum to take images of internal structures. With guidance from the ultrasound’s images, the physician will use a needle to extract a series of tissue samples from different parts of the prostate gland or nearby lymph nodes to be examined later under a microscope. Patients in West Palm Beach, Florida, who are considering a TRUS biopsy can turn to the experts at Moffitt Cancer Center, located just a short drive or flight away in Tampa. At Moffitt, biopsies are performed with state-of-the-art instruments by highly experienced physicians who specialize in diagnosing and treating prostate cancer.
If a TRUS biopsy or other diagnostic test confirms that prostate cancer is present, patients will be given an individualized treatment plan to help fight their cancer and also manage any symptoms or side effects. This treatment plan is discussed by our multispecialty tumor board, which is composed of experienced oncologists who specialize in prostate cancer treatment, and may include treatment options such as:
- Surgery – Using traditional, minimally invasive or robotic methods, our experienced surgeons can remove cancerous growths and any nearby lymph nodes to which the cancer may have started to spread
- Radiation therapy – High-energy X-rays or other radioactive materials that target and destroy cancer cells
- Chemotherapy – Highly potent medications are administered orally or intravenously to stop the rapid division of cancer cells
- Biological therapy – By triggering a response from the patient’s own immune system, biological therapy helps the body fight prostate cancer
- Bisphosphonate therapy – This form of treatment helps reduce the likelihood of cancer cells spreading into the bones
- Supportive care – With a team that incorporates dietitians, pharmacists, social workers, chaplains and educators, patients will have a variety of supportive care services available to them
For additional convenience, Moffitt offers traveling assistance to patients coming from West Palm Beach and other communities in South Florida. Through our partnership with nearby hotels, our patients can find discounted room accommodations that adhere to Moffitt’s strict hygiene standards and infection control policies. These policies are in place to ensure the well-being of all our patients, especially those with compromised immune systems.
To learn more about our TRUS biopsy services or other diagnostic testing options, as well as our individualized treatment plans, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete our online new patient registration form. No referral is needed to schedule an appointment with our oncologists specializing in prostate cancer.