10 Questions to Ask Your Pancreatic Cancer Specialist
If you were recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, you likely have many questions running through your mind about your malignancy, prognosis, treatment and more. It’s important to speak with your physician so that you will be able to make informed decisions about your cancer treatment. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, as gaining as much knowledge as you can about your condition can help you feel more confident in your health care choices.
Questions about your pancreatic cancer diagnosis
Being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer can come as a shock, and you may have so much on your mind that you don’t even know what to ask. If you are having trouble starting a dialogue with your physician, here are some questions that you may want to ask:
- What type of pancreatic cancer do I have?
- What stage is my cancer and what does that mean?
- What is my prognosis?
Questions about your pancreatic cancer treatment
Even after you learn about the kind of pancreatic cancer you have, you still may have lingering questions about what your treatment will entail. Here are some additional questions you can ask to help you understand what to expect during treatment:
- What treatments will I be having?
- What is the goal of my treatment?
- Who will be performing my treatments?
- Am I eligible to participate in any clinical trials?
- What side effects can I expect to experience?
- How will my treatment impact my daily life?
- Are there supportive care services available?
Before you meet with your pancreatic cancer specialist, it may be helpful to write out a list of questions you want to ask. You may also want to bring a notebook and pen to your appointment to write down the answers to your questions, as it can be difficult to remember clinical information – especially if you are feeling overwhelmed.