If your oncologist has recommended that you have Pancoast tumor surgery, you may have several questions about what lies ahead. The decision to have surgery is a major one, and it requires careful consideration from both you and your treatment team.
Who should you talk to about Pancoast tumor surgery?
Before getting started with treatment, you’ll most likely have at least one appointment with a surgical oncologist. This person can answer any questions you have about specific procedures or surgery in general. For instance, you might wish to ask:
- What are the different types of Pancoast tumor surgery?
- Is there more than one way to perform this operation? Which approach usually has the best outcomes?
- What is the specific goal of the procedure you are recommending?
- Do you think it’s possible to remove all of the cancer?
- Will I need other forms of treatment after my operation?
- What are the potential risks of Pancoast tumor surgery?
- How long will my recovery take?
- How many times have you personally performed the procedure you are recommending for me? What is your success rate?
You might find it helpful to talk with several surgeons before having an operation. Getting a second opinion is not only allowed, but also encouraged. Simply hearing the same information from several specialists can make you feel more confident in your treatment decisions. Or, you might find that one surgeon has more extensive experience or is better at answering your questions than the others, making it easier for you to decide where to go for treatment.
Pancoast tumor treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center
At Moffitt Cancer Center, our Thoracic Oncology Program is home to several experienced surgeons who specialize in lung cancer surgery. These oncologists have performed many Pancoast tumor surgeries and are familiar with the newest and most effective techniques. For instance, our surgeons perform a high number of robotic procedures using the da Vinci® Surgical System, giving them the skills and experience required to perform this advanced form of treatment with a high level of precision.
If you’d like to learn more about Pancoast tumor surgery, you can call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online to request an appointment at Moffitt. You do not need a physician’s referral to schedule a visit.