Ovarian Cancer Treatment for Patients in Tampa, FL
Ovarian cancer treatment is available in Tampa, Florida, at Moffitt Cancer Center. Our multispecialty ovarian cancer team meets regularly as a tumor board to collaborate on patient cases. Together, they develop treatment plans tailored to the particular needs of each Moffitt patient. This individualized level of attention has contributed to better outcomes and an improved quality of life for countless Moffitt patients.
Treatment for ovarian cancer often includes some form of surgery. The type of surgery recommended will depend on the cancer’s cellular makeup, stage and location, as well as the patient’s general health. Moffitt offers many surgical options, including:
- Unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – The ovary and fallopian tube on one side of the body are removed.
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – Both ovaries and fallopian tubes are removed.
- Partial hysterectomy – The uterus is removed.
- Total hysterectomy – The uterus and cervix are removed.
- Lymph node dissection – The lymph nodes in the pelvic area are removed.
- Omentectomy – The lining that covers the stomach and large intestine is removed.
- Cytoreductive/debulking surgery – As much of the tumor as possible is removed, which may involve removing tissue from some nearby organs, such as the colon, bladder, stomach, spleen or gallbladder.
Ovarian cancer surgery is often followed by chemotherapy or radiation therapy to destroy any remaining cancer cells. Chemotherapy may be delivered intravenously as an injection into a vein or intraperitoneally through a catheter into the stomach. Radiation therapy is delivered either externally (through a machine outside the body) or internally (through seeds, for example, placed in the body at or near the tumor site).
Moffitt Cancer Center is dedicated to providing our patients with all of the supportive care services they may need while receiving ovarian cancer treatment. Our team of dietitians, social workers and other professionals can address the physical, emotional and spiritual challenges of receiving a cancer diagnosis. For the convenience of our patients, all of our treatment and supportive care services are available under the same roof at our cancer center in Tampa, FL.
For more information on receiving ovarian cancer treatment at Moffitt, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. Moffitt Cancer Center is conveniently located in Tampa, FL, and we do not require a referral to schedule an appointment.