Questions to Ask Your Osteosarcoma Specialist
One of the key advantages of working with an osteosarcoma specialist is knowing that you’ll be able to get individualized answers to any questions that might arise. It’s normal to have quite a few concerns throughout the diagnosis, treatment and recovery process, and having a trusted medical professional to turn to can help you feel more confident. It’s even better if you work with an oncologist who can draw on years of specialized experience when answering your questions.
Decide how much you want to know about your diagnosis, prognosis and treatment options
No matter what’s on your mind, you should always feel comfortable asking your osteosarcoma specialist questions about your health. With that said, it’s up to you to decide what you want to know. Some patients feel most confident in their treatment decisions when they have detailed information about their diagnosis, prognosis and treatment options. Other patients prefer not to ask about survival rates and instead focus on what they can do to improve their outcome and quality of life. Whatever feels most appropriate for you, just know that all questions are valid and that each deserves a thorough explanation.
What to ask your osteosarcoma specialist
Some of the topics you may wish to discuss with your specialist include:
- What type of osteosarcoma do I have?
- Has my cancer spread?
- What is my prognosis?
- What are my treatment options?
- How long will the treatment period last?
- Do you recommend looking into a clinical trial?
- What are the potential side effects of treatment, and how can I manage them?
- How will I know if my treatment is working?
- Is there anything I can do to improve my overall health or make treatment more effective?
- Are there any supportive care options I should consider alongside clinical treatment?
- Should I be worried about a recurrence after my treatment is completed?
- Are there any resources you have for me to learn more about my diagnosis?
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we recognize the importance of finding a treatment team you can trust. We have several experienced oncologists who have dedicated their entire careers to the diagnosis and treatment of osteosarcoma, giving them the ability to answer your questions with a high degree of knowledge and skill. And, no referral is required to schedule an appointment with a sarcoma specialist at Moffitt. To request a consultation, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online.