Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Surgery for MDS – Bone Marrow Biopsy & Port Placement at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL
Surgery in the traditional sense is not used for treating MDS (myelodysplastic syndromes), although patients with these conditions may undergo any of several advanced procedures at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. Bone marrow biopsies (surgical procedures used to diagnose myelodysplastic syndromes) and surgical central port placement (used to streamline regular blood transfusions) are two such procedures that are frequently performed by Moffitt’s Malignant Hematology team – a group of physicians with experience in medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgery and other treatments for MDS.
Moffitt’s Malignant Hematology Program is one of the largest and most widely recognized in the nation, offering a comprehensive range of myelodysplastic syndrome treatments in a single location that’s easily accessible from all parts of Tampa. Moffitt’s team specializes in:
- Diagnosing each of the unique myelodysplastic syndromes
- Creating individualized profiles based on the unique genetic makeup of each patient’s condition
- Monitoring patients who have low blood counts and elect “watchful waiting” because they have few or no symptoms
- Performing potentially curative stem cell transplants
- Administering medication therapy and other supportive treatments to help boost low blood counts
- Tracking each patient’s progress and adjusting treatment plans as necessary over time
When a surgical procedure is recommended as part of a patient’s treatment plan, the operation will be performed by a surgeon who specializes exclusively in MDS surgery. This high level of specialization allows for the best possible outcomes and quality of life for our patients.
To learn more about how surgery is used for MDS, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. Patients from Tampa, FL, and beyond are welcome to consult with our experienced oncologists with or without physician referrals.