An MDS Diagnosis Provided or Reviewed by Hematologic Oncologists Near St. Petersburg, FL
Working with an accurate MDS diagnosis is the single most critical factor in successfully treating a myelodysplastic syndrome. At Moffitt Cancer Center – home to the largest hematology/oncology program in the Tampa and St. Petersburg, Florida, area – our physicians use the most advanced pathological, biological, hematological and cytogenetic tests to ensure that each patient receives a prompt and comprehensive MDS diagnosis.
Diagnosing a myelodysplastic syndrome typically requires the use of several procedures, including:
- Complete blood counts, including iron, vitamin B12 and folate level testing, to measure the number of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets in a patient’s blood while ruling out other possible conditions, such as anemia and thyroid issues
- EPO (erythropoietin) testing to measure the amount of EPO (a specific protein) in the blood following an abnormal complete blood count
- Bone marrow biospies and molecular tests to examine the appearance of a patient’s bone marrow tissue and analyze the specific chromosome patterns that are required for an MDS diagnosis
- Cell morphology to examine blood cells in detail beneath a microscope to determine if or how a patient’s cells are different from normal, healthy blood cells
- Flow cytometry to differentiate MDS from cytopenia by analyzing a variety of immature cells from a patient’s bone marrow
- Immunophenotyping to determine the type of MDS that a person has by examining the proteins on the surface of the myelodysplastic cells
At Moffitt, our sophisticated testing capabilities allow us to provide each patient with an individualized and accurate MDS diagnosis. We have extensive experience diagnosing and treating even the rarest myelodysplastic syndromes, making us an ideal destination near St. Petersburg for not only initial patient assessments, but also second opinions.
To discuss a potential MDS diagnosis with one of Moffitt’s experienced oncologists, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form online. We’re located just a short drive away from St. Petersburg, FL.