Many different mesothelioma treatment options are available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, within easy driving distance for patients from St. Petersburg, Florida. Moffitt is at the forefront of cancer research and treatment. In fact, our continued efforts to research innovative cancer treatment methods through our robust clinical trials program has earned us the designation of Comprehensive Cancer Center from the National Cancer Institute.
Moffitt’s Thoracic Oncology Program includes a multispecialty team of medical experts that specializes in mesothelioma treatment, and holds regular tumor board meetings to discuss each patient’s case and develop an individualized course of treatment. Some of the most common mesothelioma treatment options include one or more of the following:
- Pleurectomy/decortication – This surgery removes the tumor, a portion of the lung and part of the lining of the lung.
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) – This surgery is used to remove an entire lung.
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) – This specialized form of chemotherapy is sometimes used at the end of surgery to deliver a concentrated dose of drugs directly into the abdomen once the tumor has been removed.
- Brachytherapy – In this form of radiation therapy, radioactive ‘seeds’ are placed internally, on the tumor or close to it, to deliver a concentrated and localized dose.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – This radiation therapy is highly tailored to change in intensity depending on the shape of the tumor.
Moffitt offers comprehensive care in a single location for the convenience of our patients. Individuals traveling from St. Petersburg, FL, for mesothelioma treatment won’t have to worry about visiting different locations to complete lab screenings or other tests, or even benefit from supportive care services. Instead, they can rely on Moffitt’s Mesothelioma Research and Treatment Center to receive all aspects of their cancer care.
To discuss your options for mesothelioma treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center, call 1-888-663-3488 or fill out a new patient registration form online. No referral is necessary to schedule an appointment, and we welcome patients from St. Petersburg, FL.