Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
What Are the Next Steps After Being Diagnosed With Metastatic Squamous Neck Cancer?
Learning you have metastatic squamous neck cancer can come as a shock. It is disheartening to already be doing everything you can to fight your cancer, only to learn that it has spread to the lymph nodes in your neck. Upon receiving your diagnosis, it may be difficult to know what to do next, but know that you have help available to you every step of the way. To help you get started, here are some next steps you can take after being diagnosed with metastatic squamous neck cancer:
- Process your emotions as they come. You can reach out to friends and family or a counselor to help you talk through what you are feeling.
- Learn everything you can about your cancer and the available treatments by speaking with your physician.
- Schedule a microscopic examination to determine what type of cancer cells are present, as this will have an impact on your treatment plan.
- Seek out additional opinions about your treatment. This will allow you to make the best, most informed decision for you.
- Do not delay starting treatment. Generally speaking, the earlier treatment begins, the more options will be available to you.
Where should I go for metastatic squamous neck cancer treatment?
One of the most important decisions you will make upon learning you have metastatic squamous neck cancer is where you will undergo treatment. Not all cancer centers are created equal, and as such, it is important to research your options. Many patients choose to go to Moffitt Cancer Center, where our tumor board collaborates to ensure treatment plans address the unique challenges of each patient’s cancer. Moffitt also spearheads an ambitious clinical trial program, where eligible patients can benefit from the latest advancements in treatment before they become available elsewhere. In fact, our research initiatives have led to our designation as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute.
If you have recently been diagnosed with metastatic squamous neck cancer, schedule an appointment with a Moffitt physician by calling 1-888-663-3488 or completing a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.