Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Colon Cancer Treatment for Patients Near Tampa, FL
Patients looking for comprehensive colon cancer treatment in Tampa, Florida, should turn to the experts at Moffitt Cancer Center. The experienced oncologists, radiologists, surgeons and other specialists in our Gastrointestinal Oncology Program develop a tailored treatment plan for every new patient. By catering to the specifics of each patient’s diagnosis, we are able to provide an individualized level of care to help patients achieve the best possible outcome and a better quality of life.
Most often, colon cancer treatment is comprised of a combination of therapies to effectively target and destroy cancer cells. At Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, we understand that each patient’s colon cancer is different and may require unique combinations of treatments. Based on the size, stage and location of a patient’s tumor, some treatment plans may include:
- Chemotherapy – Powerful medications, such as 5-Fluorouracil, are given orally or intravenously to destroy cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy – High-energy beams are administered from a machine outside the patient’s body to shrink or destroy cancer cells.
- Surgery – As much of the tumor as possible is removed, as well as any necessary surrounding tissue.
- Brachytherapy – Also known as internal radiation therapy, this form of treatment involves the insertion of radioactive materials in or around a cancerous polyp.
- Proton therapy – Particles known as protons are used in place of traditional radiation therapy beams to destroy cancer cells.
- Targeted therapy – Non-chemotherapeutic drugs are used to stop or slow the growth of a patient’s cancer.
Another way Moffitt provides patients with the most leading-edge colon cancer treatment is through its robust clinical trials program. Our patients have the opportunity to benefit from the latest advances in treatment – many of which are not currently available elsewhere. We also offer a wide range of supportive care services to our patients in Tampa, FL, allowing us to ensure that our patients’ physical, emotional and spiritual needs can be met all under the same roof.
To learn more about the way we approach colon cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. You do not need a referral to schedule a consultation.