Colon Cancer Surgery for Patients in Tampa, FL
Surgery is the primary form of treatment for colon cancer patients at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida. In Moffitt’s Gastrointestinal Oncology Program, a multispecialty team reviews each new patient’s case and collectively develops an individualized treatment plan to maximize the patient’s chance of achieving a favorable outcome and higher quality of life.
There are several types of colon cancer surgery that our experts may recommend, based on the stage, location and size of the patient’s cancer. Surgeries that may be performed to treat colon cancer include:
- Polypectomy – A tube is inserted into the patient’s rectum to remove a cancerous polyp.
- Local excision – A small tumor is removed through a small incision in the rectum or a tube inserted into the patient’s anus.
- Right hemicolectomy – The right side of the colon is removed.
- Left hemicolectomy – The left side of the colon is removed.
- Transverse hemicolectomy – The middle section of the colon is removed.
- Sigmoid colectomy – The lower portion of the colon is removed.
- Total colectomy – The entire colon is removed. Patients who undergo this surgery will require a colostomy bag to collect their bowel movements.
- Lymph node resection – The lymph nodes surrounding a tumor are removed.
Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL, sees a great number of colon cancer patients each year, and our treatment team has the experience necessary to provide patients with an exceptional level of care – clinically, as well as mentally and spiritually. When undergoing colon cancer surgery at Moffitt, our patients have access to a wide variety of supportive care services all in the same convenient location to help them cope with the challenges of colon cancer and enjoy a higher quality of life.
To speak with an oncologist specializing in colon cancer in Tampa, FL, to determine if surgery is an appropriate treatment option for you, contact Moffitt Cancer Center by calling 1-888-663-3488 or by filling out a new patient registration form online.