Colon Cancer Surgery for Residents of Orlando, FL
The primary form of treatment for colon cancer is surgery, but the specific surgical approach can vary based on a patient’s needs. Regardless of the type of procedure recommended, it is important for a patient to work with a surgeon who has extensive experience in order to ensure the best possible outcome. Patients from the Orlando, Florida, area can turn with confidence to the fellowship-trained surgeons at Moffitt Cancer Center in nearby Tampa, where we successfully perform a substantial number of colon cancer surgery procedures each year. This is significant when you consider that a surgeon’s skill level is further refined with each procedure performed.
To determine the most promising course of treatment for a patient, the multispecialty team of experts in Moffitt’s Gastrointestinal Oncology Program collaboratively evaluates the location, stage and extent of the cancer, as well as the patient’s overall health and preferences. Many patients travel from Orlando, FL, to Moffitt in order to benefit from the most advanced colon cancer treatment techniques available. For instance, our surgeons can perform laparoscopic colon resections, anal sphincter-preserving surgeries, radiofrequency ablation or cryosurgery, as well as other innovative procedures.
At Moffitt, the specific types of colon cancer surgery we offer include:
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery – A minimally invasive form of colon cancer surgery used to treat polyps located at the end of the colon (rectum) and early-stage rectal cancers
- Partial colectomy – Removal of the part of the colon that is affected by cancer
- Total abdominal colectomy – Removal of the entire colon
- Ileocolectomy – Removal of the last segment of the small intestine (ileum) and the right side of the colon
- Proctosigmoidectomy – Removal of cancerous sections of the rectum and the last segment of the colon (sigmoid colon)
- Abdominoperineal resection – Removal of the sigmoid colon, rectum and anus
- Total proctocolectomy – Removal of the colon, rectum and anus
At Moffitt, we understand that it can be difficult for our out-of-town patients to be away from their families, as well as their homes and routines, while receiving cancer treatment. To make the experience a little easier, we’ve partnered with several local hotels that uphold our standards for comfort and safety and have agreed to offer convenient and affordable accommodations to our patients.