Cervical Cancer Surgery
Cervical cancer surgery and other advanced treatment options are available at Moffitt Cancer Center. With or without referrals, our patients have access to the talented team of cancer experts at Moffitt’s gynecological clinic. This group includes specialists with wide-ranging areas of expertise, including surgery, medical oncology, radiation oncology and supportive care. These experts meet weekly as a collaborative tumor board to thoroughly review each patient’s progress and recommend a course of treatment that offers the best potential for a positive outcome, as well as the highest possible quality of life.
Moffitt’s gynecologic oncologists are highly skilled and experienced in performing a wide range of cervical cancer surgery procedures, including robotic gynecologic surgery. This minimally invasive technique involves the use of Moffitt’s da Vinci® Surgical System, which enables a gynecologic oncologist to operate with a high degree of precision and control using only a few small incisions. Some of our other surgical options for cervical cancer treatment include:
- Laser surgery – A gynecologic oncologist utilizes a narrow beam of intense light to remove lesions from the surface of the cervix.
- Conization (cone biopsy) – A gynecologic oncologist removes a small, cone-shaped piece of tissue from the cervix for further evaluation under a microscope.
- Trachelectomy – A gynecologic oncologist removes the cervix and upper part of the vagina, leaving the uterus intact.
- Unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – A gynecologic oncologist removes one ovary and one fallopian tube located on the same side of the body.
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy – A gynecologic oncologist removes both ovaries and both fallopian tubes.
- Radical hysterectomy – A gynecologic oncologist removes the uterus, cervix, part of the vagina and possibly the ovaries, fallopian tubes and nearby lymph nodes.
- Pelvic exenteration – A gynecologic oncologist removes the lower colon, rectum, bladder, cervix, vagina, ovaries and nearby lymph nodes.
As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt is widely recognized as an innovator that performs extensive research and conducts promising clinical trials. Moffitt has earned an international reputation for excellence in a variety of cancer treatments, including complex cervical cancer surgery. Our gynecologic oncologists perform a large number of procedures and we’ve helped thousands of patients beat cancer and lead better-quality lives.
To learn more about cervical cancer surgery and other treatment options, call 1-888-663-3488 or schedule an appointment using our new patient registration form.