Cervical Cancer Treatment Information for Women From the Orlando, FL, Area
If you live in the Orlando, FL, area, you are encouraged to take advantage of the cervical cancer diagnostic and treatment services available at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. We welcome women who would like to be screened for cervical cancer, as well as those who have already been diagnosed and are exploring their treatment options. For added patient convenience, we do not require referrals.
Usually, the precursor to cervical cancer is a series of precancerous cellular changes that occur in a woman’s cervix. Even though these changes typically do not produce any symptoms, they can often be detected through a routine screening test known as a Pap smear. To perform this relatively simple procedure, a medical professional gently collects a small amount of tissue from the surfaces of a woman’s cervix and vagina, then sends the sample to a laboratory for evaluation under a microscope. The importance of screening cannot be overstated; when precancerous changes are diagnosed early, cervical cancer is one of the most preventable and successfully treatable forms of cancer.
Women from Orlando and elsewhere in Florida who are diagnosed with cervical cancer can confidently turn to Moffitt for a full range of treatment options, including:
- Surgery – Our fellowship-trained surgeons are skilled in performing the latest techniques, including robot-assisted, minimally invasive procedures using the innovative da Vinci® Surgical System, which allows for an enhanced level of surgical precision and control.
- Chemotherapy – Powerful drugs injected into a vein or taken by mouth can travel through the blood stream to reach and destroy cancerous cells that have spread beyond the cervix.
- External beam radiation therapy – High-energy X-rays delivered to a cervical cancer site by a highly skilled technician using a state-of-the-art machine can destroy cancerous cells or inhibit their growth.
- Brachytherapy – Radioactive substances sealed within needles, wires or catheters and precisely placed directly at or near a cancer site can deliver a high dose of radiation with minimal effects on surrounding healthy tissue.
- Chemoradiation – Certain chemotherapy drugs administered along with radiation therapy can enhance the overall effectiveness of treatment.
As a nationally recognized leader in the diagnosis and treatment of all forms of cancer, Moffitt has helped thousands of women fight cervical cancer and find a better quality of life. The multispecialty team in our gynecological clinic works closely with each patient to learn about her specific needs and preferences. Then, guided by evidence-based clinical pathways, we develop highly individualized cervical cancer treatment plans that incorporate the latest tools and technologies.
With regard to cervical cancer, everything you are likely to need is available in a single location at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, which is within easy driving distance from Orlando, FL. To learn more about our gynecological clinic or request an appointment, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete our new patient registration form online.