Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Sentinel Node Mapping and Biopsy Available for Women in Orlando & Throughout Florida
Sentinel node mapping and biopsy frequently accompanies a lumpectomy or a mastectomy surgery. This invaluable diagnostic tool helps determine if the cancer has spread from the breast tissue to the lymph nodes in the axilla, or the arm pit. For women in the Orlando, FL, area, Moffitt Cancer Center is a short drive away and our highly experienced breast cancer team can provide you with the lymph node biopsy and innovative breast cancer treatment you require. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, our patients know they are receiving the best possible care when they visit our cutting-edge facility in Tampa.
Here’s how the sentinel lymph node mapping and biopsy process works:
- A surgeon injects a radioactive tracer of non-toxic blue dye into the area around the tumor.
- This tracer/dye travels through lymphatic channels from the tumor to the sentinel lymph nodes (the nodes that the cancer is most likely to spread to), turning the nodes blue and radioactive.
- Pictures of the lymph nodes are taken, making it easy to identify the ones that need to be biopsied for cancer.
- The highlighted lymph nodes are carefully removed through a small incision in the axilla and sent to Moffitt’s on-site lab.
- A preliminary pathology report is created and if cancer is detected, all of the surrounding lymph nodes will be removed.
At Moffitt Cancer Center, our dedicated breast cancer team performs countless sentinel node mapping and biopsy procedures every year, helping to shape the treatment plans for each of our patients. Additionally, our tumor board meets weekly to review each patient’s medical records to determine the best course of treatment, depending on the size, location and grade of the tumor, the results of the sentinel mapping and biopsy and the patient’s overall health. As a result, our patients have peace of mind knowing that a full team of medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation therapists, pathologists and other breast cancer team members contributed to their individual treatment plan.
For women in Orlando, FL, Moffitt Cancer Center is a convenient option for their sentinel node mapping and biopsy surgery. We have partnerships with many local hotels to make coordinating lodging for out-of-town patients as stress-free as possible. To learn more about our breast cancer program, call 1-888-663-3488 or register online to become a new patient. No referral is required.