Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Brain Tumor Surgery for Patients from West Palm Beach, FL
Patients who are considering brain tumor surgery often seek treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. As a high-volume cancer center, Moffitt offers a level of surgical expertise that exceeds that of most other providers. We have helped many patients achieve a better quality of life, and we welcome patients from West Palm Beach, FL.
The specialists in Moffitt’s Neuro-Oncology Program focus exclusively on treating tumors of the brain, skull base and spine. Our multispecialty team includes surgeons, oncologists, neurologists and other experts who work together to assess each patient’s condition and develop an individualized treatment plan. Brain tumor surgery is often a key component of treatment. Our surgeons are highly experienced in using state-of-the-art technology and advanced techniques to perform the following types of surgery:
- Biopsy – A sample of a tumor is removed for analysis. During a stereotactic biopsy, computer imaging is used to guide the procedure.
- Laser ablation – During this minimally invasive procedure, an MRI-guided laser is used to treat small tumors.
- Endonasal endoscopy – Guided by imaging, an endoscope is inserted through the nose and sinuses to remove as much of a tumor as possible or to collect a sample for biopsy.
- Neuroendoscopy – An endoscope is inserted through a small opening that is created in a patient’s skull to remove a tumor or collect a tissue sample.
- Craniotomy – A section of bone is removed from the skull to allow access to a tumor, and the bone is replaced after the tumor is removed. During an awake craniotomy, a patient remains conscious to allow for enhanced monitoring.
- Craniectomy – A section of bone is removed to help alleviate pressure and swelling that occur after surgery.
- Shunt procedure – A shunt (tube) is used to remove excess fluid and relieve pressure on the brain either temporarily or permanently.
In addition to these brain tumor surgery options, Moffitt’s patients benefit from the comprehensive range of services we offer, including tests and scans, in a single location. Further, our supportive care specialists can provide information on local accommodations for patients who travel from West Palm Beach or elsewhere in Florida. In fact, Moffitt has partnered with several area hotels that offer discounted rates and enhanced safety and comfort for our patients who have undergone brain tumor surgery.
Moffitt welcomes patients from West Palm Beach, FL, and does not require referrals. Patients who would like to discuss their options for brain tumor surgery can call 1-888-663-3488 or fill out a new patient registration form online.