Brain surgery is usually the main form of treatment recommended to remove a cancerous or benign tumor in the brain or skull base (when surgical removal is determined to be safely possible). In the Neuro-Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida, our skilled surgeons perform several types of brain surgery, including craniotomies, endoscopies and shunt placements.
At Moffitt, our multispecialty team of experts develops an individualized treatment plan for each patient. When making treatment recommendations, our neuro-oncologists evaluate several factors, such as the type, size, location and grade of a tumor, as well as a patient’s age, general health, medical history and preferences. In addition to (or instead of) brain surgery, a patient may be advised to undergo chemotherapy or radiation therapy to destroy cancerous cells or help prevent a cancer recurrence.
Brain tumor surgery can performed to achieve any of several goals, such as:
- To confirm or rule out a diagnosis by removing a small tissue sample for evaluation under a microscope for signs of cancer
- To remove all or part of a brain tumor
- To ease tumor-related symptoms by alleviating intracranial pressure
- To place internal chemotherapy or radiation delivery devices
- To provide access for the delivery of interstitial treatments (which are placed directly into a tumor), such as hyperthermia therapy (the use of heat to destroy cancerous cells)
Well-known and respected for our groundbreaking research and robust clinical trials program, Moffitt offers patients access to the latest advances in brain surgery and other brain tumor treatments in Tampa, FL. With a unique bench-to-bedside approach, our goal is to make the benefits of our laboratory discoveries available to our patients as quickly as possible. In many cases, our patients are often among the first in the nation to receive and benefit from promising new surgical techniques, chemotherapy drugs and radiation delivery methods.
To learn more about brain surgery and the other brain tumor treatment options available at Moffitt in Tampa, FL, call 1-888-663-3488 or complete a new patient registration form online. We do not require referrals.