The latest innovations in thyroid cancer treatment are available from the multispecialty team of cancer experts at Moffitt Cancer Center. In a single, convenient location, our patients have access to all aspects of thyroid cancer care, including prevention, diagnosis and management. Our highly collaborative team consists of board-certified surgeons, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists, as well as social workers, dietitians and other supportive care providers who focus exclusively on treating patients with thyroid cancer. This diverse group meets weekly in a tumor board to comprehensively review each patient’s case in depth and determine the most appropriate treatment plan.
As a high-volume cancer center, Moffitt has some of the best and most experienced head and neck surgeons in the country. Surgery is the most commonly recommended option for thyroid cancer treatment, and our surgeons perform a wide range of innovative surgical procedures, including:
- Lobectomy – Can be used to treat well-differentiated cancers, such as papillary and follicular cancers that have not spread beyond the thyroid
- Partial or total thyroidectomy – Removes part or all of the thyroid
- Central neck exploration and dissection of the lymph nodes – If the cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes, the affected nodes are removed during surgery
- Lateral neck dissection – Fibrous, fatty tissue in the neck is removed to treat lymphatic metastases
- Radiofrequency and laser ablation – Minimally invasive techniques used to treat thyroid tumors and nodules
In addition to surgery, Moffitt offers a number of specific chemotherapy drugs that aren’t widely available elsewhere, including tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) therapies and radioactive iodine treatment, which combines both chemotherapy and radiation treatment. When necessary, we also provide organ preservation therapy as well as speech and swallowing therapy.
At Moffitt, our dedicated research team continues to evaluate new thyroid cancer treatments. In recognition of these efforts, Moffitt has been designated a Comprehensive Cancer Center – the only one based in Florida – by the National Cancer Institute. We have a robust portfolio of clinical trials with active protocols for thyroid cancers through which qualified patients can benefit from promising therapies that aren’t yet available elsewhere.
To learn more about thyroid cancer treatment options, contact us at 1-888-MOFFITT or schedule an appointment using our online form. We do not require referrals.